Help: Dell C840 Bios
Help: Dell C840 Bios
[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followups ] [ FAQ ] [ Back to Messages ]
Posted by Peter on October 29, 2005 at 21:08:00:
I needed to update my bios on my old c840. I had no warrenty on it so I bought a Dell Bios cd from Ebay.
I started the c840. looked the read me file and began. The first thing I did was: "Resetting the Boot Sequence
Before running the BIOS upgrade, you must reset your computer's boot sequence.
1. Insert the Dell™ BIOS Upgrade CD into your computer's CD/DVD/CD-RW drive.
2. Ensure that an AC adapter is connected to the computer, and restart the computer."
3. As soon as the Dell logo screen appears, and before the Microsoft® Windows® logo screen appears, if you see an option to press , press to enter the one-time boot menu
Entering the One-Time Boot Menu
1. Use the arrow keys to select CD/DVD/CD-RW drive as the Boot First Device option and press to boot from the CD.
2. Follow the instructions on the screen to upgrade the system BIOS. The computer automatically restarts when the upgrade is complete.
3. Remove the CD from the CD/DVD/CD-RW drive.
When it "showed" the instruction screen it was so fast I woulden't see nor read it and then i restarted.
I started up, gor through where I can enter Bios etc. and then it freezed and the screen was all black... what ever I did nothing helped. I could get in the bios but coulden't do anything there. Just for fun I reinstalled XP Pro.
Now it worked again...
However the bios was not the same as the one I was trying to update... it haden't been updated. I needed to have my service tag altered since the one that is one the C840 is not the right one. I tried using autoexebat fil and it asked me if I were sure I wanted to change my service tag... I said yes and it did the same thing... started the program and then shutted down before I could read or write the right service tag.
My question to all this is... What am I doing wrong?
The bios cd is for my C840. It is dated 2005.
I'm in desperate need of help
Post a Followup